Comfort Home Care provides comprehensive in-home care for seniors in Montgomery County and Prince George’s County, MD, and Washington, D.C. Our professionally certified Aides help seniors maintain their independence in their own homes. We give family members peace of mind, knowing that their loved one is safe and supported with compassionate care.
When Seniors Require In-Home Care
The aging process eventually brings about mental and physical changes that interfere with the activities of daily living. But a decline in these areas doesn’t always mean we must move our loved ones into an assisted living facility or nursing home. Many seniors live full, independent lives in their own homes when they have extra help.
It is time to seek in-home care when:
- Your loved one has been released from the hospital or rehabilitation center and needs assistance while they continue to heal.
- You notice changes in your senior’s daily routines and/or appearance. Subtle changes may imply your senior is no longer willing or capable to complete familiar tasks. You can download our free ADL Assessment to evaluate and monitor your loved one’s changes.
- Your loved one has become forgetful (missed appointments, left the oven or stove on), has fallen more than once, and/or has started neglecting their health.
- Your loved one has started to withdraw from family and friends.
- Your current care team—often family members—is experiencing burnout. Helping your loved one with grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning the house, and managing doctor’s visits and medications can become overwhelming both physically and emotionally. The stress of caregiving can negatively impact your other relationships, work, finances, and health.
Senior In-Home Care Services
Comfort Home Care can greatly increase the quality of life for seniors by helping them live as self-sufficiently as possible in the familiar setting of their own home. Our senior care professionals support our clients by helping them complete the six basic activities of daily living (ADLs):
|Eating – A healthy diet is essential to strengthen muscles and bones. We can help prepare delicious and nutritious meals, help with feeding, and clean up afterward.|
|Bathing and Showering – It is extremely important for our clients who spend extended periods in their favorite chair or beds to ensure they get regular bathing. Proper and thorough cleaning avoids pressure ulcers (bed sores) from developing.|
|Dressing – Our caregivers allow time for our clients to do as much as they can for themselves and allow them to select the clothes they are wearing for the day. If they can put clothing on but only need help with the buttons or tying their shoes, we give them time to do it their way and try to have multiple wardrobe choices available.|
|Grooming and Hygiene – We help keep their smile bright and their breath fresh. We help our clients wash, shave and trim their hair. We make sure their nails are trimmed and clean. We will also provide skin and oral care.|
|Mobility – Our Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), Geriatric Care Assistants (GNAs) and Home Health Aides (HHAs) assist with stretching, walking, and other light exercise programs designed to help retain muscle strength, decrease fall risks, decrease illnesses, and increase cognitive function and mental health.|
|Toileting/Continence – We all need to use the toilet throughout the day. Our CNAs, GNAs, and HHAs are skilled at helping our clients get to and from the bathroom safely and with the respect and dignity they deserve.|
Are you or a loved one having some difficulty with every day tasks but aren’t sure if you need in-home help? Download our free checklist to assess your ability to complete each task.
Senior In-Home Care Companionship
With reduced mobility, seniors can withdraw and socialize less often. This can lead to feelings of isolation, loneliness, and frustration. Loneliness and social isolation is a significant health risk in aging adults according to the CDC.
Loneliness is linked to an increased risk of depression, anxiety, dementia, heart disease, stroke, and death. Socializing with others – even with just one other person, like a senior care provider – can boost mood, self-esteem, immune system, and memory function.
Our senior care teams work hard to forge a bond between our caregivers and our clients to prevent feelings of isolation and loneliness. In some situations, our caregivers are the only personal interaction our client has during that day. Our aides are very pleased to be a steady part of your loved one’s life and can accompany them:
- At-home reading aloud or watching TV together
- At-home with daily social conversations.
- Social outings to see friends and relatives
- Events – gallery and museums, concerts, performances
We also encourage our clients to continue to do the activities they have always enjoyed and to try some new ones:
- Arts and crafts
Benefits of In-Home Care for Seniors
Most seniors want to live in their homes where they have built lifelong memories, feel safe in their neighborhood, and know how to get to all their favorite places. When faced with the possibility of moving, many seniors fear the unknown. Allowing seniors to stay in their homes brings peace of mind.
Comfort Home Care works hard to keep our seniors in their homes, preserving as much self-sufficiency and independence as possible. Our decades of experience have shown that our seniors thrive when we focus on four areas:
- Cognitive stimulation – As we age it becomes even more important to stimulate the brain in order to reduce the chances of memory loss. The human brain can get stimulation through the same activities we did when we were young – playing card and board games, solving puzzles, reading, and writing.
- Socialization – The psychosocial aspect of care, which is someone’s interaction in a social environment, is an important aspect of overall health and well-being. It is part of the human experience to engage each other in mutually beneficial social interaction. In-home care keeps seniors engaged and socially interactive.
- Improvement in physical health – Our in-home caregivers help our seniors stay healthy. They assist with physical activity to help increase their mobility and strength, reduces muscle loss and fall risks. We also help our seniors consume enough calories with the right nutrients to avoid obesity, excessive weight loss, and dehydration.
- Safety supervision – Keeping our seniors safe is a top priority at Comfort Home Care. Understanding prescription medications, dosages, and necessary precautions can help seniors avoid catastrophic consequences. Fall risks can be reduced by clearing clutter from walkways and stairs, installing non-slip rugs, and mopping up spills. Cleaning the kitchen and refrigerator can prevent illnesses due to cross-contamination or consumption of expired foods.
Partnering with Comfort Home Care
Comfort Home Care’s philosophy of People-Centered Care puts seniors and their family at the heart of all of our care decisions. Our philosophy recognizes both seniors and their caregivers as partners in developing and planning care to ensure care always satisfies their wants and needs. It is important to us to take into consideration a client’s preferences, wishes, hobbies, and activities they want to continue through in-home care.
The first step to ensuring appropriate in-home care is through an in-home assessment.
- An in-home care evaluation for seniors and their families in and around Montgomery County, MD and Washington, D.C. These evaluations are conducted by our Registered Nurses (RNs) to determine the levels of care needed, specific requirements, and individual goals involved in the care plan.
- Following the initial evaluation, our RN will create a customized care plan that encompasses the physical and psychosocial needs of the senior receiving care.
- Using the information from the evaluation and the in-home care plan, we match a care provider with your loved one. The aide will ensure your senior is happy, safe, and at ease. Our decades of experience have shown us well-placed matches help our clients thrive and develop a positive bond with our compassionate in-home care professionals. We become an extension of their family.
Request a Free In-Home Care Evaluation Today
Comfort Home Care is renowned for providing positive experiences for seniors and caregivers in and around Montgomery County, MD and Washington, D.C. If you or a senior loved one would benefit from in-home care support, contact us today to discuss a complimentary needs evaluation.