The home healthcare industry is made up of different medical services such as hospice care, palliative care, caregiver services, and many others that are administered by different types of medical professionals.
As the home care sector welcomes 2018, many healthcare experts see a lot of opportunities and growth within the in home care services. In fact, the home healthcare sector is becoming an integral part of our society as more and more people favor in home care services than receiving care and treatment in the hospital.
Studies have shown that those who get in home care services are able to regain their health if they get home health rehabilitation instead of hospital care. Moreover, the mental health of patients who reside in their homes seemed better than those who reside in a facility. There have been fewer re-admissions among patients who receive in home care service than those who did not receive home care services.
The Growing Need for In Home Care Services
There is a growing need for in home care services in the next few years. This is sparked by the growing number of elderly population in the United States. According to the United States Census, the population of the elderly is seen to increase to 19% by 2030; thus, there is a need for more in home care services in the country in the following years. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the in home care sector increased to 30% and there is a staggering demand for more in home care professionals.
While there is a growing need for in home care professionals, there is still a huge gap that needs to be filled. This means that many in home health care professionals are overworked because they have to deal with many patients than they can handle. While the labor statistics of the in home care sector needs to be improved, current in home care professionals have relied on technology to efficiently plan their schedule and route for home visits. The thing is that many caregivers find it very challenging to crisscross the city getting from one patient to another without getting the right help. Using technology to optimize their schedule and route will result in lesser time being wasted.
Types of Services Offered by In Home Care Facilities
In home care facilities are committed to providing good medical care right in the comfort of the patient’s home. Caregivers and other in home care professionals provide a wide variety of services to improve the quality of lives of the patients. Below are the different types of in home care services that in home caregivers provide.
- Nursing services: Nursing services are the main type of services provided by in home care agencies. The services are provided by registered nurses (RNs) and licensed practical nurses LPNs). The tasks that they perform include administration of medication, post-acute care, wound care, pain management, disease management, observation, and assessment. They also provide education to the patient’s immediate caregivers and family members so that they have a full understanding of what their patients are currently going through.
- Therapy services: Therapy services include physical, speech, and occupational therapy. These are carried out by professional and licensed therapists who focus on one aspect of the patient’s life. For instance, a physical therapist focuses on improving the strength of the lower body. They also help improve the endurance and mobility of the patient as part of their post-hospital recovery. Occupational therapy, on the other hand, focuses on strengthening the upper part of the body to help the patients complete activities of daily living including showering, dressing, and eating. Lastly, speech therapy helps the patient regain their speech and language abilities following a stroke. Not only does speech therapy help them regain their speech but also help them with swallowing and breathing.
- Doctor care: Doctors can visit a patient at home for diagnosis or treatment of diseases. Many patients prefer this as it is convenient. While it is often done for routine checkups, there are some cases when patients really need to go to the clinic or the hospital especially if they require complicated medical procedures.
- Medical social services: This type of services includes counseling as well as locating resources to help the patients with their recovery. Social workers can also serve as patients’ care managers especially if the condition of the patients is complicated and requires coordination of several services.
- Care from home services: Home health aides are also offered by in home care professionals. These services help the patients with their basic needs to perform activities of daily living. These include bathing, eating, and dressing up. Many health aides receive special training to assist patients with their specialized care requirements.
- Companionship: Companionship is also another service provided by in home care services. The thing is that there are some patients who live by themselves and refuse to live in a nursing home. In home care facilities provide companionship as part of their services to provide comfort as well as supervision of the patient.
- Nutritional support: It is also very important for in home patients to get proper nutrition especially if they are suffering from specific conditions. Dietitians can come to the patient’s house and provide a dietary assessment as well as guidance to the patient especially if they have certain dietary restrictions. Part of the nutritional support includes home-delivered meals especially to patients who are unable to cook for themselves.
- Transportation services: Many in home care services also provide transportation services to patients who require transportation to or from a medical facility where they need to receive treatment or undergo physical exams.
There will be an increase in the need for in home care services in the United States for the coming years partly because many elderly patients prefer to receive their treatment and care at the comforts of their home. The care services are provided by skilled professionals so that patients can experience a better quality of living despite their condition. If you have a loved one who is in need of in home care services, make sure that you get the right people, at Choose Comfort Home.