Assisted living facilities are not right for everyone. When a patient feels more comfortable remaining in their home, an in-home care agency can provide the care they need. Home care includes any type of professional support services that allow a person to remain safely in their home. In some instances, in-home care is there to assist seniors who wish to live independently but need assistance. Other times, an in-home care agency provides services to patients with chronic health issues, medical setbacks, or those with special needs or disabilities. Learn more about in-home care and why you should consider it for your loved one.
What Does In-Home Care Include?
In-home care may include a broad array of services ranging from personal care to social companionship. These services are administered while providing patients with a high level of respect and dignity at all times. Personal care services offered may include:
- Hygiene and Grooming: One of the main goals of an in-home care agency is to assist individuals with their personal care routines. Good hygiene and grooming habits are not only important for good health but can also make a person look and feel better. For patients who may be falling behind on their hygiene or have certain limitations that make hygiene difficult, in-home providers are there to help.
- Mobility Assistance: Growing older naturally means a decline in mobility for many seniors. Remaining mobile can help reduce muscle atrophy while lowering a person’s risk of falls and injuries. Mobility assistance can help seniors remain active by providing in-home care assistance that may include helping patients get up and down, help with walking, or assistance getting in and out of the shower or bathtub.
- Toileting and Incontinence Care: Many individuals with physical limitations may need assistance with toileting or incontinence care. Without proper help from a qualified in-home care agency, individuals may suffer from unpleasant odors, skin infections, and other hygiene-related problems. An in-home care agency can provide these services while maintaining dignity for patients.
- Companionship: For many patients who live alone life can be lonely. An in-home care agency can provide individuals with the companionship they need to thrive. Caregivers are friendly and can engage in meaningful conversation to ward off emotional health problems like stress and depression.
- Nutrition and Meal Prep: Maintaining good nutrition is key for good health as you age. Many patients fail to maintain good nutrition due to physical limitations or other reasons. An in-home care provider can help with daily tasks like grocery shopping, preparing meals, and cleaning up in the kitchen.
- Transportation: Many older adults are no longer able to drive. An in-home care agency can provide safe and reliable transportation for a wide range of purposes, such as shopping, beauty salons, or medical appointments.
Why Should I Consider In-Home Care?
Oftentimes, in-home care is the best choice for your struggling loved one. But how do you know for sure? If your loved one needs assistance with daily tasks or personal hygiene, help from a care agency can make life easier by providing medical monitoring, transportation, light housekeeping, and similar essential services. When you are considering care for your loved one, think about the services you want.
With in-home care, individuals are encouraged to remain as independent as possible. To help patients achieve independence, safety changes are made in the home such as anti-slip rugs and grab bars. When you choose in-home care for your loved one, you also have the luxury of coming and going as you please. Unlike assisted living facilities which have set visiting hours, family members and friends are able to stop in and help out as often as they would like.
You can also have the peace of mind that your loved one is being well cared for by a team of professional and experienced care providers. In-home care is often provided by the same team of caregivers which can help your loved one remain more at ease. There will also be a higher rate of one-on-one care which ensures that your loved one gets the personal attention he or she needs. One of the biggest perks of in-home care is the lower costs. Working with an agency is often less expensive than assisted living facilities or nursing homes.
In-home care also lessens the burden on caregivers with reduces the risk of caregiver burnout. As more and more people are choosing to remain home in their older years, caregivers can easily become exhausted and overwhelmed. Taking a break by providing your loved one with a qualified in-home caregiver can be healthy for everyone involved. When your loved one remains in a safe and familiar environment, they will also experience less stress and a general sense of well-being.
Call an In-Home Care Agency Today
Everyone experiences changes as they age that often make it necessary to seek professional support services. Families may also find that they can no longer care for their loved one making in-home care necessary. While some patients are simply older adults who need help around the house, others have serious illnesses such as stroke, cancer, Alzheimer’s, or Parkinson’s. Care agencies offer flexible services that are designed to provide patients with the individual care they need to thrive. Services are adapted to each individual for the best results possible.
Not all care services are created equal. If you are considering hiring an in-home care agency to assist your loved with personal care, you will want to review qualified caregivers in your area. Know that agencies perform thorough background and driving record checks on their employees to match the best caregiver to each patient. Employees hired by an agency are also trained and monitored, and the agency is bonded and insured for your protection. Are you ready to get started? Speak with a professional in-home care agency in your area today to learn more about the services they offer.